Monday, November 9, 2009

A Cocktail Memory


Zoë, a rock in the otherwise changeable SoHo scene, lo, these past 18 years (which counts for several lifetimes in the NYC restaurant world) will close this weekend, it was reported.

I only mention this because it was at Zoë that, back in the mid-1990s, I had my first Cosmopolitan. I know that that fact will draw no interest from the cocktail mafia, who look sidelong at any vodka cocktail. But I still contend it's a decent cocktail, one that has its place (certainly in history), even if "Sex and the City" has made it a dreadful cliche.

I also mention it because it's not often that I remember exactly where I had my first example of a notable cocktail. I know I had my first Gibson at the late SoHo Kitchen & Bar; my first Sazerac at the Carousel Bar in New Orleans; my first Pegu Club at the Pegu Club; my first Pimm's Cup at the Napoleon House; and (God forgive me) my first Long Island Iced Tea at a Bennigan's in Evanston, IL.

I remember the Cosmo I had at Zoë being very well made and truly hitting the spot on a summer's day. Being young, I was quite impressed.

Funny, though, I never went back again.

No comments: