Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The End of Flavored Vodka

Surely this must be a sign that the era of flavored vodkas has reached its nadir and is coming to an end.

Burnett’s Flavored Vodka, which has about a gajillion different flavors, announced today the latest addition to their wine.

Whipped Cream. 

"Burnett’s Whipped Cream Flavored Vodka was a direct result of the demand for great flavors that we see in the market," said Reid Hafer, Senior Brand Manager, Burnett Flavored Vodkas, in a statement. "We regularly seek out opportunity to grow the franchise with high quality, relevant flavors. This flavor, in particular, speaks to our consumers and their interest in the expanding line."

I would say that it speaks to their consumers and their interest in not drinking like adults, but like overgrown adolescents. Or their interest in never drinking anything that remotely tastes like alcohol, but stays closer to candy.

Burnett’s already traffics in many of the execrable and absurd (and endless) vodka flavors already out there, including Blueberry, Cherry, Citrus, Coconut, Cranberry, Espresso, Fruit Punch, Grape, Lime, Limeade, Mango, Orange, Orange Cream, Peach, Pineapple, Pink Lemonade, Pomegranate, Raspberry, Sour Apple, Strawberry, Sweet Tea, Vanilla and Watermelon. (How Whipped Cream tastes much different than Vanilla, I can not imagine.)

So, do I pour this stuff over my ice cream sundae, or stick a nozzle on it and stream it straight into my mouth?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog. Just started a Whiskey and Cigar Club here in Birmingham Alabama. I tried to email you using the "Contact me" feature but it wouldn't work on my IPad. Keep up the good work. I just returned from a nine distillery bourbon distillery tour in Kentucky. I got an education and a new found appreciation for bourbon making. Just tried my first glass of George T Stagg, It's a special bourbon! My email is:
Bhamwhiskey@gmail.com
Hope to hear from you. Last time I was in NY was for the worlds fair, shows my age,,

Anonymous said...

Whipped cream is hardly a flavor at all!

I do enjoy how the brand manager can't even muster up a smidgen of enthusiasm, though.

Nathan said...

Oh, my! Whipped Cream Vodka is so 2010! Pinnacle released their "Whipped" flavor more than a year ago, and has since followed up with "Cherry Whipped", "Orange Whipped", and "Chocolate Whipped".

This year's hot new flavor is "cake". Yes, cake. We've seen no fewer than four different brands of cake vodka so far, one of them with three different flavors.

Hopefully the dessert-flavored vodka trend will continue. I look forward to spirits flavored like apple pie, tiramisu, and perhaps peanut butter cups. Oh, wait, those already exist...