Thursday, May 8, 2008

I Am in Love With This Spoon


Anyone who's interested in wine and spirits and cocktails, is interested in the equipment and paraphernalia that surrounds the creation and service of these libations. The more arcane and unique the tool, the brighter the gleam in the eye the drink nut.

The above is a spoon-straw. It was served with my Mint Julep during a recent visit to Little Branch. Said drink was piled so high wish shaved ice, a straw was the only way I was going to get at the Bourbon. I fell in love with it immediately. It's made of metal, in case you can't tell. The handle is hollow, opening at the top and behind the spoon. The thing is not only eminently useful, it adds a handsome accent to the drink.

I'll be honest. I was so enamored with the knick-knack I was ready to swipe it. Then I saw in the cocktail menu that the spoon-straws were for sale for the low-low price of $2. So I came by the item honestly and it now adorns my homemade Juleps.

5 comments:

camper said...

Awesome! Now you just need a fork-straw (stork) from Cyrus and you'll have a set.

Damian Williams said...

Great for a Ramos Gin Fizz or any long drink with a foam element.

Robert Simonson, "Our Man in the Liquor-Soaked Trenches"-New York Times. said...

Thanks, Camper. Are you serious about the fork-straw?

ali said...

i just came across your blog searching the internet for this exact spoon! i, too, was served a drink with one at little branch!! i've been searching the internet to buy some as a gift... i should go back to the bar, eh? thanks for posting about this!

Robert Simonson, "Our Man in the Liquor-Soaked Trenches"-New York Times. said...

Ali: Yes, I think you'll have to go back to the bar to get some.